03 June 2011

Arts-Based Curriculum for Social Studies: Using "Synthetical Moments" as a Scaffolding Device for Learning

Don't discount the Arts just yet. A trip to the Museum of Modern Art can have profound implications for student learning across disciplines. In fact, it was through my exposure to Art that I became intimately and emmotionally connected to the past and the world around me and found my niche in social studies and science education. As a social studies or science teacher, do not deprive your students of the uniquely personal oppurtunity to be connected emotionally with their learning.

So what is a "synthetical moment"? William Pinar and Madeline Grumet (1976) first referred to a "synthetical moment" as a perception altering experience. A student may never truely understand what it was like to be Jewish in Poland during the Holocaust, but various artistic renditions of the events that capture the intense emmotion of the time can alter a student's perception and capacity for empathy. Art, in many ways, is a reflection of the culture and perception contemporaneous to its creation. Everything from Greek, Renaissance, modern, and post-modern Art has an intended (or unintended) aesthetic that reflects a unique human experience. Knowing how to capture these "synthetical moments" with students and turn them into learning opportunities provides a critically-important dimmension to student's educational experience. Interacting with art can be very personal and not all students will experience synthetical moments, but, in my opinion, we have an obligation to provide students with the opportunity to.

By the way, synthetical moments do not have to be restricted to traditional mediums like canvas or sculpture, they can also be mediated through literature, poetry, music and film.

Why just Tell students that Jews and Gypsies were persecuted during the Holocaust? Why not Show them? Here's an example of how music can teach a concept of how shared experiences can unite diverse groups of people together in shared expressions of sadness and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Philosophy of Teaching

My Philosophy of Teaching:

I just finished my masters in Curriculum and Instruction. I have a firm commitment to my continuing education and strong love of teaching. My greatest draw to education is the opportunity to work daily with students, particularly students for whom success has been elusive or who struggle in the academic setting. I strongly believe in preventative behavior management and, as a student teacher, I have turned the success of lower performing students around using differentiated instructional techniques including collaborative learning, project-based learning and service learning. I do not accept the notion that some students fit a profile of failure and should be side-tracked. I am committed to the success of each and every one of my students. I believe no student should be given up on. I love that none of my students are the same and I value their diversity, linguistic, behavioral, cognitive or otherwise. I do not accept the notion that a student's difference is, necessarily, a hindrance towards their learning and hold the onus upon myself to find ways to facilitate learning for all of my students. Finally, I am aware of the importance of collaboration between faculty and staff. Cross-content instruction is not only important for the student's cognition, but is also important for a teacher's professional development. I believe strongly that a teacher's classroom is a place of constant innovation and improvement, and the sharing of ideas between faculty and staff, as well as the close cross-content collaboration of teachers, is important in improving the overall success of teachers, and, by proxy, our students. We are all responsible for the success of every student in the school, not just those who are in our classroom.